The carriage house is one of the original buildings on the farmstead. The first automobile came to the island in 1905 and horse-drawn vehicles were the norm until the late 1920s. One of the two carriages on exhibit was used by San Juan Island’s first midwife Lucinda Boyce on her errands of mercy around the islands. In her career, she delivered over 500 babies while bearing 11 of her own.
Lucinda was the first Euro-American woman to reside permanently here, arriving in 1860.